Saturday, August 11, 2012

Country

This is David, or--as most people call him--"Country." He saw me taking a few pictures one night as he passed by the dessert table, and he was more than willing to let me snap a photo of him.

"So tell me," I asked, "what do you like about Manna Cafe?"

Country didn't hesitate for a moment. "Well, I love Jesus, and He's puttin' this on!"

"That's the truth," I agreed. Heaven knows this thing is way bigger than Kenny is, way bigger than even our whole team.

Later, as Country was getting a second plate to take home with him, he flagged me down. "Gimme your hand," he said. I complied, and he proceeded to pray the Lord's Prayer for me.

"Wow," I said. "That's so cool that you just did that. I almost always talk to God just like you and I are talking, but today I specifically prayed the Lord's Prayer."

Country's eyeballs bugged out with intensity. "You should pray that prayer every single day!" he nearly hollered. "Every single day! I'm tellin' you what--God will answer you. He may not give you what you want, but He'll give you what you need, by golly Moses Andy!"

No kidding--that's what he said: by golly Moses Andy.

Here's a man who's often unsure where his next meal is coming from, yet he feels that God has given him what he needs. Proverbs 30:8 reads, "Give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread" (NIV). I love this verse because it suggests that American's definition of "enough"--i.e. four bedrooms, a stack of mutual funds, and sufficient clothing to go three months without doing laundry--is not necessarily heaven's definition of enough. 

Country has found contentment because he believes that God has blessed him with enough. We could all take a lesson from Country.

"He'll do it, He'll give you what you need, by golly Moses Andy!" 


1 comment: